Thursday, October 14, 2010

I love Rick Bayless


souce: epicurious.com

I just wanted to say how much I love Rick Bayless. He was on Top Chef Masters a few years back and I was completely inspired by his authentic Mexican cooking. Last year for my Birthday I got his Mexican Everyday Cookbook and I have LOVED everything that I've ever made from it. I suggest you go get this right now. I absolutely love Mexican but I usually tend or order things that are full of cheese and rice and not so healthy. Kevin and i have been trying to be healthier (on top of the fact that he is a crazy person who HATES cheese. Its weird. I know.) So I browsed through the cook book and I ended up making some beef fajitas with whole wheat tortillas (ok sooo i purchased the tortillas, I'm not that talented) With Rick's Mexican red rice, (substituted brown rice instead of white as the base and it turned out great) as well as some black beans that I doctored up using a couple of various bean recipes in the book. Voila healthy, cheese-less Mexican dinner!

Mexican Red Rice a la Rick Bayless

3 cloves garlic minced
1.5 cups uncooked brown rice
1T olive oil
1 c of your favorite salsa
2 c chicken broth

Saute minced garlic, rice and and olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes- rice will start to brown. Add salsa and chicken broth- cook for about 40 minutes.
printer friendly recipe

Spicy Black Beans

1/2 medium white onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1T olive oil
1 can of diced tomatoes and chilies
2 cups black beans (either canned or cooked but not dry beans)
lemon pepper seasoning

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes until onions start to turn translucent. Add in can of diced tomatoes and chilies, add in black beans and cook until heated through. (I used the back of a spoon to slightly mash the beans) season with lemon pepper (and a little hot sauce if you like spicy)
printer friendly recipe

I didn't take a picture of this one because I was hungry and wanted to eat instead of mess with my camera. I've got to get in the habit of taking more pictures while I'm cooking!

If you don't have Mexican Everyday to go get it now!

5 comments:

  1. YUM. Hard to imagine Mexican sans cheese, but this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy~ I too love Rick :-)

    Have you tried his pre-packaged add-ins for guacamole? (DON'T, unfortunately they are tragic!)

    *waves to Jen!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy whole wheat tortillas too for our mexican dinners. My hubby would love this too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always see his brand of stuff and have wanted to try it but I haven't. I'm sad the guac mix isn't good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of a Homo Sapian who hated cheese.

    ReplyDelete